• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What's YOUR diet?

InmostLight

Greenlighter
What diet do you feel you mostly comply to? Is there any diet that you're interested in switching to for health benefits?

I have removed the poll due to the wide variety in diets and feel that it removes the juicy details that can't lend themselves to categorization.

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian for environmental and speciesism reasons. I really like hemp milk and protein alternating with soy milk, and try as best I can to eat organically.

Last edited:
Restricted-calorie vegetarian (forced - I want to eat vegan but I don't have a choice - and am switching over in December, when I finally get to make my own food).

EDIT: That would be lacto-ovo vegetarian, to answer your question :)

er other, I eat around 6k cals atm. Main source of cals is chicken / steak / potatoes (sweet) , oatmeal , rice. Hmmm lol.

Can't you make it into a real poll? Would be easier. Mods?

My answer: Other.

[gluten/corn/soy/dairy free. About 1/2 -3/4 raw. All organic food, local when possible]

:)

75% raw, 95% vegetarian (egg-eating), eat fish ~once a week.

typical day's food:
  • bananas
  • apple
  • almonds throughout the day
  • orange juice
  • pear/grapes
  • natural peanut butter on non-HFCS 100% whole grain bread
  • broccoli, carrots, celery w/ olive oil
  • greek yogurt + honey + cinnamon (sp?)

I basically eat that everyday. Include some wheat spaghetti w/ home-made sauce like 2 times a week. Also eat eggs + Sriracha a couple times a week. Pizza once a week.

Vegan. I do avoid soy, except I will occasionally (like, twice a month) use soy sauce.

Good for you. The soy sauce once in awhile isn't so bad. It's the larger quantities especially tofu or tvp. uggg.

Changed, your diet sounds pretty awesome. :) Have you ever tried rice pasta though instead of the wheat? Even if you don't have sensitivity to wheat rice pasta is just so damn yummy. A lot of people I've given it to prefer it to regular.

Almonds are win. Lately we've been eating a lot of raw sunflower seeds as well. Mmmmmm !

Good for you. The soy sauce once in awhile isn't so bad. It's the larger quantities especially tofu or tvp. uggg.

Changed, your diet sounds pretty awesome. :) Have you ever tried rice pasta though instead of the wheat? Even if you don't have sensitivity to wheat rice pasta is just so damn yummy. A lot of people I've given it to prefer it to regular.

Almonds are win. Lately we've been eating a lot of raw sunflower seeds as well. Mmmmmm !

Never heard of rice pasta... details?

other- Dexedrine and protein drinks and sometimes IV fluids/electrolytes.

Never heard of rice pasta... details?
Rice noodles are delicious! They taste like white rice since that is what they are made from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_noodles Check the Oriental section of your grocery store. :)

I can't believe the amount of soy (mostly in the form of tofu) that most Vegetarians/Vegans eat. I went through a period of three weeks where I ate a package (8oz) of tofu every day. Totally fucked with my system: I got my period twice that month. I had started it a day or two before I started the binge, ended a few days later. Got my period again near the end of the three-week binge.

Last edited:
freegan - I work in restaurants and will eat anything that is still good but has to be thrown away for one reason or another. Sometimes my body tells me "enough is enough" and I'll toss creamy soup or whatever.

At home I eat lots of raw fruits and veggies. I also like beans, grains, really nice cheese, sprouted grain bread (pbj), local eggs, and take out thai or burgers that come from a local free range ranch. Sometimes I'll eat a bag of nuts (lol).

I avoid highly processed food.

Vegan rice, bean, guac, onion, tomato, and cilantro burritos for $3.50 with a $1.00 tecate is a major staple as well.

To more directly answer the question, I'm an omnivore that eats mostly raw to semi-processed food. Raw local vegan is my favorite and feels the most healthy.

Total omnivore.

The following makes up probably 95% of my diet

oatmeal
bread
eggs
milk
cheese
chicken
steak
rice
pasta
lentils
nuts, mostly almonds and cashews
greens, mostly lettuce, spinach, broccoli, asparagus
vegetables, mostly potato but beets are the shit
as far as fruit goes I try to have 2-3 avocado a week and banana/orange are regular snacks.
and one last thing I almost forgot is salmon on Sunday. Love that tradition.

I'll put almost anything on a sandwich and fast food is not a bad option in a pinch.

The only thing I am dissatisfied with about my diet is the fact that I will often skip breakfast out of either laziness or depression/lack of appetite (not lack of hunger).

Last edited:
^^sounds like a great diet.

For a while I've been trying to eat lots of anti-mutagens. Fruits and veggies have different types of anti-oxidants and phytonutrients depending on their color, taste, and smell. anti-oxidant supplements such as ginko biloba, vit A C D and E, and green tea extract (there are hundreds of other herbs and vits that are beneficial as well) are great. Fiber is one of the best sources of anti-oxidants because of the reaction with it and beneficial bacteria in the digestive track (read this in a book about diet and cancer).

Meal 1: 6 egg whites 2 egg yolks, spinach, low fat swiss, cup of oatmeal, honey, bluberries
meal 2: 8 oz chicken veggies brown rice
meal 3: 50 g protein from whey protein along with Museli and lowfat milk
meal 4: half container (about 40-50 g's protein) along with banana bluberries walnuts cinnamon
Meal 5: 50 g protein from whey protein or steak with veggies.

Last edited:
I don't really have a special diet or anything as I eat everything, I so far have not eaten something I disliked that much I would not eat again, or found another way of cooking something so I can eat it.
I tend to make all meals from scratch so tend to avoid processed things but that is all. I would still eat them if I was out, or at someone else's for dinner.

Rice noodles are delicious! They taste like white rice since that is what they are made from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_noodles Check the Oriental section of your grocery store. :)

They make brown rice pasta too. Check out Tinkyada. They sell it at Wal Mart. The yummiest pasta I've ever tasted and it's nothing but rice. No fillers, allergens, preservatives... just rice. Mmm.

^^sounds like a great diet.

For a while I've been trying to eat lots of anti-mutagens. Fruits and veggies have different types of anti-oxidants and phytonutrients depending on their color, taste, and smell. anti-oxidant supplements such as ginko biloba, vit A C D and E, and green tea extract (there are hundreds of other herbs and vits that are beneficial as well) are great. Fiber is one of the best sources of anti-oxidants because of the reaction with it and beneficial bacteria in the digestive track (read this in a book about diet and cancer).

phytos are the bomb! pass the lycopene plz =D

Right now I'm eating canned tuna (bleh) Where are all the sweet potato when you want some eh.

Food staples for me are:

• algae (spirulina, chlorella)
  • bee food (pollen, raw honey)
  • bread (sourdough, sprouted grain, whole wheat)
  • caffeinated hot drinks (green/white tea, yerba mate, cacao, coffee)
  • cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, gouda, goat cheese)
  • eggs
  • fermented foods (kimchi, yogurt, kefir, miso, kombucha, tempeh, gundru, tamari, congee, live salsa)
  • fruits (avocados, bananas, coconut, various berries, asian pears, tomatoes)
  • grains (quinoa, oats, couscous, brown rice)
  • greens (collards, kale, spinach, broccoli, red lettuce, spinach)
  • herbs (ginger, rooibos, garlic, ginseng, turmeric, rosemary, cinnamon, cannabis, chamomile, sage, passionflower, stinging nettle, cumin/curry/coriander, basil, cilantro, peppermint)
  • legumes (lentils, black beans, chickpeas)
  • mushrooms (oysters, shiitake, maitake, chanterelles, morels)
  • nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans)
  • root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, daikon/radishes, burdock, beets)
  • salmon
  • sea vegetables (wakame, nori, kombu)
  • sprouts (mung bean, clover, alfalfa)

I used to love tofu (still do, even), but I've cut that out along with any other soy product that isn't fermented/cultured. The same goes for dairy.

When bee pollen and raw honey are no longer in season I supplement with Propolis Plus which contains bee pollen, propolis, and royal jelly. I also take a vitamin B complex daily, on top of liberal amounts (2-10g) of fish oils as a prophylactic against depression. I eat salmon only once a week as another source for these oils.

I try to eat raw as much as possible, but there are some things that just need to be cooked, like mushrooms (which I usually sautee) and non-fermented leafy greens (which I typically steam). Plus I just like hot meals when it's cold outside.

So overall I'd have to say I follow an ovo-lacto-pesco vegetarian diet, though I do eat meat on rare occasions in a freegan kind of way.

Also, for those of you who want to cut out soy but still use soy sauce, try tamari. It's a traditional soy sauce created as a byproduct of miso fermentation, and thus lacks the negatives associated with non-fermented soy foods. Any health food store or co-op worth its salt (pun intended) should have it, and the quality ones will have it available in bulk.

Last edited: